Best Drupal HostingBest Joomla HostingBest Wordpress Hosting
warning: art_menu_xml_parcer(): unterminated entity reference Events in /var/www/vhosts/default-web/drupalapps38/sites/pida.pitb.gov.pk/themes/ftdrupal001/common_methods.php on line 61.

Lower Bari Doab Canal

The Lower Bari Doab Canal (LBDC) was constructed during 1909-12 and inaugurated on April 12, 1912 by Sir Louis Dane, Governor of Punjab. It has a total length of 201 km. It branches from the Ravi River at Balloki Barrage which is about 75 km south west of Lahore. 
 
It serves a gross area of 740,674 hectares (1,829, 465 acres) and a cultivable command area of 675,667 hectares (1,668, 897 acres) in Lower Bari Doab of the Punjab. Its current designed discharge is 11,000 cusecs.

After hundred years, it has almost deteriorated and become inefficient in delivering optimal water supplies for agriculture. There was a need for rehabilitation and upgrading to restore the capacity and improve its performance. For this purpose, a project entitled Lower Bari Doab Canal Improvement Project (LBDCIP) started to efficiently irrigate the lands of Okara, Sahiwal, Kasur and Khanewal districts in the province of Punjab.

The purpose of LBDCIP project is the provision of water to the tail end shareholders including the rehabilitation and upgradation of LBDC. Management has been handed over to the shareholders (FOs) so that they could solve their water disputes. Under the reforms program, PIDA has framed 53 Farmer Organizations in Lower Bari Doab Canal Circle by establishing the Area Water Board.